- Best Practice
Materials Management System: 3 Steps to an Optimized Material Flow
Insite LMS: Tailor-made Materials Management System
Three Steps to Efficient Materials Management
INSITE IT’s material management system follows three steps to digitally manage goods:
- Pre-register deliveries and generate the respective packing lists and QR codes
- Take over, inspect, and document materials/manage storage areas via app
- Request and issue materials via the system
Whenever these three steps are consistently handled via the software, material management is significantly improved:
- You know the stock levels at any time, at the push of a button.
- You always know where which goods are stored.
- You have all the information at your fingertips – including linked info about storage deliveries, locations, installation locations and photos.
Digital Material Management System
Step 1: Pre-register Deliveries and Generate Packing Lists
In a first step, deliveries can be pre-registered via the materials management system by manufacturers and suppliers.
To do so, either a straightforward direct supplier process (web client, Microsoft Excel as exchange format) or an ERP integration can be used.
This allows project teams to access all delivery information at an early stage.
In addition, transport documents (e.g. packing lists including QR codes) can be generated with the help of the system.
Step 2: Receive, Inspect and Store Materials via App
Upon delivery of materials to the site, the app is used to conveniently take over all items scanning the QR code. In this step, materials can also be inspected and documented.
The materials management system provides all the features needed to do so:
- performing and documenting goods inspections including photo documentation,
- storage area management including GPS positions,
- defect management,
- reports including signatures.
Step 3: Request & Issue Materials via App
The materials management system Insite LMS helps to optimize the materials flow right until the final installation of all components, goods, and items. For this reason, in a third step, the materials are
- requested and
- issued for assembly.
Once goods are issued, the respective stock inventory is reduced, of course.
All procedures are documented in the system and immediately available for reports, dashboards etc.
1. Quick Start into Digital Materials Management
If you want to start quickly, we recommend beginning with receiving, inspecting, and storing goods via app.
Delivery information is imported into the materials management system in advance and the respective information is immediately available on site or to other authorized stakeholders.
Upon delivery: Document deliveries, materials inspections, and storage locations. Handle defects using Insite LMS.
This way, you will benefit from a solid data foundation and efficient materials management right away – and, last, not least, you will gain experience how additional Insite LMS features can support you in the future.
2. First Work with ACTUAL data, then add TARGET data
In many projects, it is helpful to first use ACTUAL data (packing lists) and work with this information. In a second step, TARGET data (e.g. bills of materials, purchase orders etc.) can be added to generate target/actual comparisons.
The materials management system Insite LMS is designed modularly, which means additional steps can be integrated at any time.
3. Full Access!
Our platform Insite LMS can also be used without internet connection. As soon as a network is eligible, data will be synchronized again.
The materials management system runs on a variety of devices and clients (Android, iOS, Windows). Insite LMS can be used via web client, app or desktop client.
- Material registration – web client: Material is often registered using the system’s web client. In other words: suppliers and manufacturers only need a web browser and Microsoft Excel to register deliveries.
- Material acceptance – app: Material acceptance upon delivery to the site is often done using the app on a cell phone. The project teams on site use the app to scan the QR codes, update information, add photos etc.
- Full scope - desktop client: You can also use Insite LMS via our desktop client. This client “plays all the pieces” and is popular with project logistics experts as well as on site.
Conclusion: Materials Management via the system Insite LMS will Boost your Projects!
- Materials registration, delivery, storage management and issue: Digitally managing all those steps via our materials management system Insite LMS makes perfect sense. You are in control of your materials and can better achieve your project goals.
- Above all, this solves the problem of having goods „disappear into a black hole“ upon delivery on site. You always know where to find what item, component or good.
- Our experience from more than 5,000 projects is: When you rely on a well-proven materials management system, projects simply succeed better. Do you want to find out how Insite LMS can help to boost your projects? Let’s get in touch!
About the Author
INSITE IT GmbH
Since the company was founded in 2012, INSITE IT GmbH has continuously become the professional partner for plant engineers. The software company with headquarters in Linz (AT) and a location in Chicago (USA) develops software solutions for materials, logistics and site management in plant engineering.